We are currently seeking a Financial Analyst and Accounts Payable Manager as part of the Accounting team in our downtown Cleveland office. This is a split role. As a Financial Analyst, the candidate will be primarily responsible for gathering financial information, analyzing it, and making recommendations. As a key member of the finance team, the Financial Analyst will be responsible for creating routine and ad-hoc reporting, budgeting, general financial analysis, as well as reporting on metrics.
As the Accounts Payable Manager, the candidate will manage the processing of the firm’s invoices related to both firm related charges as well as client advances, and also supervise the firm’s trust payments. The candidate will supervise two full time staff as well as two part-time staff assigned to assist with the AP function. The AP Manager will act as the first layer of invoice review and will direct the scheduling of approved invoices for payment.
Job Duties Include:
- Support the annual financial planning process including drafting budgeting instructions, drafting budget assumptions, preparing draft budgets and final budget documents, and preparing monthly analysis of results versus budget.
- Support the expense budgeting process by maintaining budgeting templates in the financial reporting software, preparing budgeting guidelines, providing support, reviewing draft budgets and proposing budget changes.
- Support the legal practices by producing ad hoc and routine analysis of legal department, geographic locations, and types of business for purposes of determining scope of business, growth, and profitability.
- Perform Practice Group analysis as well as work side by side with Practice Group Leaders to help guide and instruct on financial results.
- Support the monthly close process of the firm’s consolidated financial books and records.
- Produce and audit reports on activity and other metrics to be included in the monthly financial report.
- Actively contribute to the creation and improvement of standard reporting of law firm metrics to be used by internal management for the purposes of managing their practice or function within the firm.
- Provide guidance to the team of Accounts Payable staff regarding unusual transactions.
- Advise AP staff of proper General Ledger coding and adherence to firm AP policies.
- Authorize newly created vendors and scheduled invoices for payment.
- Ensure timely payment of vendor invoices and review schedules for missing invoices.
- Manage ongoing vendor relationships.
- Prepare year-end 1099s.
- Evaluate AP staff for year-end performance reviews.
- Support as needed various ad hoc projects and process improvement initiatives.
The ideal candidate must possess a bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance, MBA or CPA preferred (but not required), with a minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in financial reporting and analysis, or equivalent is required. Experience working in a law firm or service industry and “Big 4” or other Public Accounting experience preferred. Must possess strong technical analysis skills, including data mining and analysis experience coupled with advanced Excel capabilities. Must have the ability to analyze financial data and prepare concise reports to assist management in understanding the variances and make risk assessments.
The ability to multi-task with minimum supervision is required. Knowledge of legal services financial reporting systems such as Aderant or Elite is preferred.
Ulmer & Berne offers an outstanding benefit package with includes: medical/dental, 401(k) with employer contribution, life insurance, short and long term disability plans, transportation fringe benefit program, and a generous paid time off policy.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to the attention Human Resources at Ulmer & Berne LLP; 1660 West 2nd Street; Suite 1100; Cleveland, OH 44113 or via email to HR@Ulmer.com.
Equal Opportunity Employer