Honigman is seeking an experienced Billing Manager for the important position of managing the firm’s billing department, people and processes. The Billing Manager’s role includes sustaining a high performing billing team, designing billing solutions for clients in a variety of industries with varied billing requirements, and working closely with attorneys to foster high regard for exceptional levels of service performed within the billing department.
- Provide department leadership ensuring quality billing services for clients by working effectively with attorneys, management and staff.
- Develop, challenge and mentor a team of Billing Coordinators and Specialists by providing leadership, training, support and guidance. Handle fist-stage employee relations issues.
- Organize and prioritize work to assure that department functions are performed accurately and timely.
- Foster team-building, collaboration and cooperation among billing personnel.
Billing Process Management
- Organize and stay abreast of the status of longer-term projects, establishing divisions of labor and coordinating the work of team members so the group works coherently and efficiently, while setting priorities for day-to-day activities; keeping a focus on the forward-moving development of the department and its processes and technical systems.
- Lead project team initiatives in implementing software upgrades to the billing modules which includes interacting with the IT team members, training the Billing Coordinators and Specialists and communicating changes to the attorneys and secretaries.
- View the activities of the department as a collection of processes that, if designed to work systematically, will work efficiently; be able to design new processes when needed to support new client-driven or firm-driven changes.
- Oversee the Senior E-Billing Administrator’s implementation of clients’ electronic billing processes ensuring timely completion of technical set up and successful electronic transmission of invoices.
- Use knowledge of billing, client matters, and other Accounting areas and problem solving techniques to address questions regarding bills from clients, attorneys, secretaries and Billers.
- Responsible for timely completion of all month-end billing activities, the month-end close, month-end reporting and the distribution of pre-bills.
- Responsible for timely compilation of critical annual reports for the attorney review process.
- Monitor work in progress, provide reports, and follow up with Billing Attorneys as necessary.
- Provide assistance in resolving client cost invoice issues and unapplied client payment issues.
Billing Solutions Design
- Develop new billing and reporting procedures for clients with alternative fee arrangements.
- Evaluate and recommend new work procedures to meet the changing needs of the Firm.
- Provide feedback to key Partners and Billing Attorneys on outside billing guidelines.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Information Technology or a related field with 8+ years of progressively increasing billing experience.
- Previous law firm or professional services firm experience required.
- Five or more years of experience in a supervisory capacity.
- Demonstrated ability to continuously improve billing processes to drive efficiency.
- Demonstrated ability to coach and mentor direct reports in support of their continuous learning, skill advancement and professional development.
- Excellent planning, organization and writing skills, including an ability to present and persuade others based on analysis of issues.
- A high level of analytical ability and strong problem solving skills are required to gather and interpret data for complex situations.
- High level of technology skills, mastery of Excel, Word and Outlook is required, along with billing system/timekeeping application (Aderant preferred).
- Strong interpersonal skills necessary in order to communicate effectively with clients, attorneys, secretaries, management and staff.
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org