Founded in 1908, Ulmer & Berne LLP operates four offices in the Midwest and one office in Florida. Ulmer & Berne serves a wide range of clients that include individuals, sole proprietorships, public and privately held companies, multinational corporations, financial institutions, public bodies and nonprofit organizations. As one of the largest law firms in the U.S., Ulmer & Berne provides excellence in client services on a regional, national, and international level.
We are currently seeking a Business Intake & Conflicts Manager as part of the management team. This position can be located within our downtown Cleveland, Cincinnati, or Chicago offices. This position will be responsible for the identification and analysis of potential and actual conflicts of interests associated with new business intake, lateral hiring, and business development, and will assist in the resolution of potential or actual conflicts. This position is also in charge of the day-to-day management of the Firm’s business intake/conflicts department and staff, and the development, implementation, enhancement, and maintenance of business intake/conflicts procedures to ensure efficiency and compliance with Firm policies, as well as applicable laws and rules.
Job Duties Include:
• Review and analyze conflicts of interest reports to identify potential and actual conflicts of interest associated with business intake, lateral hiring, and business development.
• Provide Firm attorneys with a summary of review of conflicts of interest reports, highlighting potential or actual issues.
• Work closely with Firm attorneys, Director of Risk Management, General Counsel, and members of the General Counsel Committee to gather more information relevant to potential or actual conflicts, determine steps for resolution of potential or actual conflicts, and assist with conflict resolution by obtaining waivers and/or implementing screening requirements as needed.
• Study and stay abreast of the laws and rules pertaining to conflicts of interest in each jurisdiction where the Firm has an office.
• Responsible for the day-to-day management of the Firm’s business intake/conflicts department and staff.
• Develop, implement, enhance, and maintain business intake/conflicts procedures and manuals in accordance with Firm policies, as well as applicable laws and rules.
• Provide initial and ongoing training to Firm attorneys and staff on business intake/conflicts procedures.
• Ensure database integrity with standardized and accurate data entry and continual monitoring.
• Prepare statistics for measurement (i.e. turnaround times, customer satisfaction) and identify opportunities for improvement.
• Stay abreast of new technologies, trends, and best practices in business intake/conflicts of interest.
• Assist Director of Risk Management with special projects as needed.
• This position may require the ability to adapt to new technologies and/or job duties as required.
The ideal candidate must possess a Juris Doctor from an ABA accredited law school and have a minimum of 2 years experience in intake and conflicts within a law firm or professional services environment. A strong understanding of the ABA Model Rules of Professional Conduct and familiarity with conflicts of interest analysis is preferred.
This position requires strong client service skills, ability to research, analyze, and synthesize information with minimal direction. Candidates must possess strong oral and written communication as well as strong listening and interpersonal skills. Experience with Aderant (or equivalent), iManage (or equivalent), Dun & Bradstreet (or equivalent) and workflows preferred.
Ulmer & Berne offers an outstanding benefit package, which includes: medical/dental, 401(k) with employer contribution, life insurance, short and long term disability plans, and a generous paid time off policy.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to the attention of Human Resources at Ulmer & Berne LLP; 1660 West 2nd Street; Suite 1100; Cleveland, OH 44113 or via the website at www.ulmer.com.
Equal Opportunity Employer