The Accountant I is primarily responsible for suggesting journal entries, bank and ledger account reconciliation, assisting in the preparation of firm financial statements, interfacing with external accountants, assisting with the year-end financial review, and assisting with the preparation of the firm’s tax return. As a key member of the finance team, the Accountant I will be responsible for creating routine and ad-hoc reporting, budgeting, general financial analysis as well as reporting on metrics.
• Support the monthly close process of the firm’s consolidated financial books and records.
• Ensure accurate and appropriate recording and analysis of revenues and expenses.
• Reconcile balance sheet accounts.
• Resolve accounting discrepancies and irregularities.
• Prepare various monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports for management.
• Prepare quarterly Sales/Use Tax filings.
• Produce and audit reports on activity and other metrics to be included in the monthly financial report.
• Actively contribute to the creation and improvement of standard reporting of law firm metrics to be used by internal management for the purposes of managing their practice or function within the firm.
• Assist with preparation of pension funding and distribution calculations.
• Work efficiently and effectively to meet deadlines and enhance workflow.
• Support, as needed, various ad hoc projects and process improvement initiatives.
• Provide support to the Financial Controller and Assistant Controller as necessary.
• Assist in the preparation of 1099s.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance, MBA or CPA preferred (but not required). Experience working in a law firm or service industry and “Big 4” or other Public Accounting experience preferred (but not required). Must possess strong technical analysis skills, including advanced Excel capabilities. Must have the ability to analyze financial data and prepare concise reports to assist management in understanding the variances and make risk assessments.
The ability to multi-task with minimum supervision is required. Knowledge of legal services financial reporting systems such as Aderant or Elite is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
• Strong understanding of US accounting principles and practices.
• Strong experience using Excel including pivot tables and vlookups.
• High level of integrity including an understanding of the need for confidentiality.
• Able to provide strategic input, as well as hands-on assistance as needed to complete departmental responsibilities.
• Experience interacting with outside accounting firms.
• Excellent communication/presentation, management/mentoring, and interpersonal skills with ability to work successfully with key stakeholders.
• Able to take responsibility and ownership of projects and see them through to completion.
• Able to work with coworkers at all levels of the organization.
While performing the functions of this position, the employee is regularly expected to sit, use hands to type and feel, ability to talk and hear. Employee will occasionally stand, walk, reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift or move up to 25 lbs.
Regular attendance is required. Longer hours are required during budget and tax seasons.